There are many different types of teas in the world and Oolong Tea might be the one most beneficial. Strange though, as it only accounts for about 2% of the worlds teas. Highly used and originating in China Oolong tea has been around almost 400 years. With many great health benefits it might be worth switching to, instead of that highly acidic morning coffee.
Oolong Tea | A Healthy Choice
Oolong Tea is made from the same tea leaves that make green tea and black tea. The leaves are from the Camellia sinensis plant. How the leaves are processed produces three totally different teas.
All tea leaves contain certain enzymes, which produce a chemical reaction called oxidation. Oxidation is what turns the green tea leaves into a deep black color. For black tea, the leaves fermented until the leaves oxidize and turn black. For green tea the leaves don’t oxidize much staying green. Oolong tea is somewhere in the middle, partially oxidized. The fermentation process is stopped as soon as the tea leaves start to change their color. This partial oxidation gives Oolong tea it’s color and taste while creating many different health benefit from the other teas.
Tea is packed with antioxidants known as tea polyhenols a long with many essential vitamins and minerals. Theaflavins, Thearubigins and EGCG are the polyphenols which are responsible for the many great health benefits.
In each cup of oolong tea you will find vitamins A, B, C, E, and K
The minerals found in each cup are calcium, manganese, copper, carotin, selenium, and potassium. These are all essential minerals which help the body to function at its best.
Folic acid and niacin are also found in each cup of oolong tea. Folic acid helps to produce and maintain new cells and also helps prevent changes to DNA that may lead to cancer. Niacin can lower cardiovascular risks and help improve cholesterol levels.
Health Benefits of Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea has many great benefits here is a few which I think most people can really benefit from.
Weight Loss – the caffeine and polyphenols in each cup of tea may help increase the amount of fat and calories the body burns each day. Some of the polyphenols in the tea may boost metabolism while decreasing the amount of fat absorbed. This boost in metabolism is said to last a couple hours after a cup of oolong tea. The polyphenol antioxidants activate enzymes that help use stored fat for energy. Simply put a cup of tea that can help to speed up your weight loss.
Improve Heart Health – when drinking this tea daily the antioxidants can improve heart health along with decreasing the risk of heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure. One in China study reported a 39% less chance of strokes from drinking 16 oz of oolong tea per day. Another study in Japan noticed a lower risk of heart disease at 61% from just 8 oz per day.
Anti-Cancer Properties – By now everyone knows someone who has been affected by cancer in some way. The antioxidants found in oolong tea can help to prevent cell mutations which can lead to cancer. The polphenols decrease the rate of cancer cell division. To me any chances in reducing your chances of getting cancer is worth trying.
Improve Brain Function – there are several componenets that can improve and benefit brain function and prevent Alzheimer’s. Caffeine can increase the release of norepinephrine and dopamine. These are the two brain messengers that benefit brain function, mood and attention. There is also the amino acid theanine present in oolong tea which can help to relieve anxiety while boosting attention. The caffeine and theanine can increase alertness and attention for the first 1-2 hours. The polphenols then have a calming effect starting after the 2 hour mark.
Those are just a few of the benefits to adding Oolong tea to your daily routine. A few other great benefits worth mentioning are control diabetes, healthy skin, and promotes tooth and bone strength. The boosting of your metabolism and protection against certain types of cancers are my top two choices for adding Oolong tea to my diet. Dr. Oz suggesting drinking two cups daily for these great benefits, but it is totally safe to drink 10 cups per day.
If your are struggling with weight loss by adding Oolong Tea to a diet like The Joy Of Eating or a more of an exercise program like Body Transformation Blueprint you can increase your chances for success even more.
All in all Oolong tea is a great addition to everyone’s diet it tastes delicious and incredibly healthy. Try some today and your body will thank you tomorrow.